“The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him” (Proverbs 20:7).
What can we do to protect our children and to guide them in the way of truth? Remember, “More is caught than taught.” The home is the schoolhouse of life. Studies have proven that the home produces 80% or more of the influences, good or bad, that will mold the life of a child.
As a father, leadership and the example of integrity will build the best defense for your children. Here are ten principles that work and our children should observe them in action.
- Principle is more important than pleasure.
- Fact is more important than opinion.
- Learning is more important than education.
- Maturity is more important than growing up.
- Character is more important than reputation.
- Obedience is more important than sacrifice.
- Godliness is more important than success.
- Listening is more important than lectures.
- Love is more important than things.
- Example is more important than explanation.
(Lowell Davey. “The Voice,” Bible Broadcasting Network)
The fact that the home produces 80% or more of the influences that will mold the life of a child is precisely why homes in general and Christian homes in particular are under attack by those who want to brainwash our children to the world’s way of thinking. We must, as Christian parents, live out our faith and increase our involvement to influence our children with the truth of God’s Word. If we don’t, others will fill that vacuum with the vain philosophies of this world.
“And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4).